Wednesday evening around 5:30 I was working on dinner while Brooke played with one of her very favorite toys, dried kidney beans. I was feeling quite brilliant because I had thought to put her and her beans in a large plastic storage bin. She was having a great time, and I was thrilled, because nary a bean was to be seen skittering around my kitchen floor, and dinner was nearly done. She started coughing a little, and rubbing her nose, then her breathing started to become distressed. I picked her up and hit her back, then she stopped breathing and I tried the Heimlich. Nothing happened, I called 911 and tried hitting her back again. While I was on the phone, she started crying and coughing, but I could hear that there was an obstruction.
I think that the ambulance arrived in about a minute. It felt like a very long minute, but it really was very fast. I ran downstairs with Brooke, leaving the oven on, music playing and the door open. The paramedics were strapping us in together to take her to the ER when she went into cardiac arrest. They took her from me to start CPR and put in a breathing tube. I called Darren to come home and get the car. It is normally a 15 minute walk, up a steep hill. I think he was home in 5! They took us to Evergreen Hospital in Kirkland, probably 15 to 20 minutes. I've never cursed rush hour traffic so vehemently. At the ER she went into cardiac arrest again. They resuscitated her, re-intubated her, and put her back in the ambulance to go to Children's Hospital in Seattle.
At Children's, we were met by a special team. All they do is remove foreign bodies from the trachea of small children! After a quick priesthood blessing (thank you Dave and Sierra), she was in the OR, and the bean was out, although significantly larger than when it went in. Her right lung ruptured a little, because they had to use so much pressure to get enough air past the bean, but that is healing well.
Her brain is another story, that we probably won't know the ending of for way too long. If the damage was minor, then she should have woken up after coming out of the anesthesia, but she didn't. Instead, she started having seizures. Constant seizures every 2 seconds or so, for over 24 hours. It was so awful to watch. The doctors tried all kinds of drugs all night, and most of the next day. Nothing changed. Finally they added one that works, although it can damage the liver and pancreas, and it puts her in a coma (Pentobarbital). But we can deal with that. The hope is that stopping the seizures with drugs for a while (a couple days is the current plan) will allow her brain to rest and reset. Then the doctors will start decreasing the Pentobarb and increasing other drugs that won't knock her out and hopefully the seizures won't come back.
They know that the seizures are coming from deep in her brain, and are the result of brain damage. But they don't know how severe it is yet. If the seizures don't stop, or if they can't control them with more mild drugs, it is a sign of very severe brain damage, and they would have to put her back in the Pentobarb coma. The longer she is in a coma, the worse the likely outcome.
She is going in for an MRI in the next hour, and that should provide some more information. We pray that it is good.
So please pray, with every bit of faith you have ever hoped to have. She is in the hands of God. We know He loves her, even more than we do. And we know He loves us. We also believe that He is a god of miracles, and that those miracles are worked according to our faith. She has received two priesthood blessings, promising that she will recover. We don't feel that Heavenly Father wants to take her back, and we so desperately want to see her bright blue eyes filled with laughter again.
We are so very very thankful for all the of the love and prayers offered for Brooke and ourselves. We are thankful for the power of the priesthood, and the love and service that have been given. Thank you for asking your family and friends to pray for her too. Please keep it up. We have a long road ahead of us, and we appreciate knowing that we have your shoulders to cry on, and your faith to lean on. And we're grateful for the many offers of help. I'm afraid we are going to need it. We are thankful for the peace and strength that have been clear answers to heartfelt, pleading prayers. He gives us what we need to get through the next few hours, and then He gives us more. I pray, that through your prayers for our sweet baby girl, that you will also experience that sweet peace, reassurance and strength.
Sarah and Darrin so sorry to hear that your precious baby is so ill. Your family will be in our prayers and if I can do anything you need only to ask!! Love to you all. Lorie Donaldson
ReplyDeleteDon't know you. Promise to pray for you. It will be okay. Stay faithfilled.
ReplyDeletePraying for a miracle. Love to you all.
ReplyDeleteNiki (Willey) Bennett
Praying praying praying.
ReplyDeleteSara we are praying so many prayers love you so very much
ReplyDeleteOh Sarah. Our hearts are breaking for your family. We are thinking of you constantly and are praying mighty prayers for you and Brooke.
ReplyDeletePraying for Brooke and your family.
ReplyDeleteI've been looking at pictures of beautiful Brooke this evening. I'm sorry your angel is going through this and my heart is broken for your family. I continue to send up my most fervent prayers in your behalf. We're thinking of you all with love.
ReplyDeleteSarah, my heart breaks for you and your family. I cannot begin to imagine what you are going through. I am continually praying for sweet Brooke and your family.
ReplyDeleteMy friend who is your ward posted this link. I'm so, so sorry. sorry. I'm praying for you all.
ReplyDeleteSarah, we love you and your family. May you endure this trial with love and faith from all of us. She is in the Lord's hands.
ReplyDeleteHang in there! We are praying for you and for the best possible outcome. All is well when He is in charge :)
ReplyDeleteOur family is praying for you here in Seattle too!!! Hang in there!!!!
ReplyDeleteBrooke will be remembered in every prayer here in the Emmett household.
ReplyDeleteA friend of mine shared a link to your blog on Facebook and I am SO sorry that you and your family are going through something so awful and heart-wrenching! I will be praying for Brooke and your family.
ReplyDeleteYour sorrow is my sorrow, your grief is my grief. You are so very much NOT alone in any of this. It feels like the whole world should stop at a sorrow so complete, but it hasn't. I wish that it would, even for a minute, to understand what a loss it has suffered.
ReplyDeleteWe will pull together as a family and get through this somehow. I don't know how, but surely we can if we take it one step at a time.
I have never met you Sarah or your beautiful Brooke...but I had know Darren many years as his sister-in-law when I was married to his brother Wade{almost 20yrs}I have,through facebook and my children{Alex and Sophie}seen your lovely smiling face and Darren looking so Happy and at peace with his beautiful little family..My heart breaks for what you are ALL going through.May God Bless You and Keep You All Safe In His Care.Know my prayers are with you.
ReplyDeleteOur thoughts and prayers are with you especially now. I'm so very, very sorry for you loss and wish there was something I could do to lessen it for you. You will continue to be in our prayers. Please let us know if there's anything we can do to help.
ReplyDeleteBig, big hugs,
the Weltons
praying.
ReplyDeleteMy prayers are for you and your little Brooke. I too know that Heavenly Father loves Brooke and you and Darrin also.
ReplyDeleteEileen G.
A friend posted your link on facebook, and I wanted you to know you'll be in my prayers as well. I hope that you will feel uplifted by them and that your little one will come out with minimal damage.
ReplyDeleteI came across your blog when a friend posted asking for thoughts and prayers. My youngest is the same age as your Brooke and I can not begin to imagine the pain and heartbreak and fear you are feeling right now. You and your family arencertainly in my thoughts right now and I hope for peace, health and happiness for Brooke and for your family.
ReplyDeleteAll my love and many many prayers for you are being sent for way. I hope you will not feel so alone during this terrible time. Big hug, Linda Tolbert (from playgroup)
ReplyDeleteA friend linked you on FB. I am praying for Brooke and you both. God bless you all!
ReplyDeleteSarah, I have been thinking about you nearly every waking moment since I heard about this. You are the most amazing person. Your quiet faith, and strength, and peace, impressed me immediately when we first met. May God continue to give you the strength and peace you will need on this new bend in your family's eternal journey.
ReplyDeleteSarah my heart is aching for you. You are so strong and your faith is such a testimony to the rest of us. I love you. I am praying for a miracle for you, but mostly that whatever happens you will feel peace.
ReplyDeleteChristy (Draper) Pettey