Today has been a day of miracles, not the miracle for which we had been praying, but powerful, life-changing miracles nonetheless.
From the moment we woke up this morning, we have been buoyed up and filled with the most wonderful spirit of grace and peace. I had a clarity of mind that allowed me to pray in detail. I went to the Lord and talked through all the possible outcomes. I asked Him about Brooke returning to His arms. I asked about Him healing her and returning her to us. And I asked Him about some of the in between situations, that honestly have been most terrifying for me, because I do not know how to make those decisions for her. Heavenly Father did not tell me what was going to happen today. Instead, He tenderly prepared my heart for each of those situations. I left that prayer prepared to thank Him and praise Him for whatever He would give me. And when I looked into Darren's eyes, I saw the same peace that I had found.
We spent the day similar to how we spent yesterday evening. We made Christmas ornaments with Brooke's handprints. We watched videos of her laughing, making faces, and exploring. We shared stories of all the ways she has brought joy in our life and sang Primary songs. We prayed and thanked God for the gift of 18 wonderful months with this precious little girl. With lots of family gathered around, Darren gave her a priesthood blessing. He told God that although we were here, asking for and believing in the miracle of healing her, we were also at peace with returning her to His arms.
Shortly after that powerful and tender blessing, Brooke's heart rate and blood pressure began to drop rapidly. We told the doctors that we did not want her resuscitated, and that we would like to let her go peacefully, but also that we wanted her organs to be donated. We have learned a lot about organ donation that we did not know at that time.
Apparently, in order to donate organs in the US, a donor has to first be legally declared either dead or brain dead. But if a person's heart has stopped, then most of their organs can't be used. Because of the drug that stopped the seizures and masks the condition of her brain (Pentabarb) is still in her system, the doctors have to wait until at least noon tomorrow to do their first full evaluation. In order to have her declared brain dead, they have to have two separate teams of doctors to do separate evaluations, 12 hours apart, in her case. If she hadn't been on the EEG, it would be 24 hours apart. After she has been declared legally brain dead, the organ donor people can start the process of testing her organs and finding matches. That takes at least 18 hours, but can take much longer. Because the process takes so long, it is fairly rare for a body to meet the physical criteria, and for family members to be able to handle it.
I feel that is part of the reason God has blessed us with this miraculous cocoon of grace. Without it, I don't think we could get through the next few days. But somewhere there are other families and friends praying for a miracle. They are praying for their little child to be able to laugh hard, to roll down hills, to play in the ocean, and to run after a dog. They are praying for a full and happy life for their precious baby. Now we are praying that Brooke's body will hold up through this process, and that she can be the means by which God works that miracle. Please pray with us for those unknown children.
Brooke's time on earth is at an end. She has had an amazing and joyful life. I have often wondered how God could bear to let her come down here, and I guess He knew that it would only be a short while. She has done what she needed to here on earth. She has made me a mother, and Darren a father. She has knit us so very close together. She has brought joy to everyone who has seen her. She has received her perfect, darling, chubby little body. She has lived every precious moment of her life to the fullest.
I hope that everyone who has hoped and prayed for our sweet little Brooke can feel some measure of the peace and grace we feel now. I know it is because of your powerful prayers and the mercy of God. Today I have felt light and happy. Never in a million years would I have ever thought that I would use those words to describe my heart on a day like today. But I have. I have felt lifted and floated. I have felt very close to the veil, and received wonderful spiritual impressions of the joy, beauty and love in the place where Brooke is now. We feel that her spirit has left her body, and that she is in the arms of our loving Savior, and with family that loves and cherishes her.
Oh Sarah. I love you!! - Emily Elmer Bowers
ReplyDeleteI don't know you personally. I heard of your story through a Facebook friend of yours. I have been praying for you and I stand in awe of your ability to see the miracles through the tragedy. You are a brave example of faith, love and courage. It is miraculous how the holy spirit can touch our hearts in just the right way, at just the right time, when we have complete faith and the ability to say, "Thy will be done." What a blessing your family is to so many others, in so many ways. I continue to pray for you and your family, for Brooke, and for all of those children who are waiting. Blessings to you and yours!
ReplyDeleteDear Daughter,
ReplyDeleteIt has been such a joy watching you these last 18 months as you have become a most amazing mother. It has doubled the joy of becoming a grandmother.
Love you so very much and am so grateful that God sent you to us.
Mom
I used to work with Darren about 5 years ago and know him as a wonderful kind person. My heart breaks for your family as the photos of Brooke show her as a happy beautiful loving soul. I know now, through your words, that there is something deeper within this tragedy. Your faith is inspiring and I have realized that every moment together with our loved ones is a gift to be cherished. I hugged my husband tightly today.
ReplyDeleteWe're not friends through FB, but I know and love your parents from the Fruitland ward. From the moment I heard about your situation this week, I have been checking FB regularly and following the unfolding story. As I read this post, with tears streaming down my face, I was struck by the gifts you and your husband have been blessed with: the grace to rise above the moment and see the eternal nature of your decisions; the peace and resolve afforded by the Spirit; the beauty of your daughter and the nature of your relationship with her; the strength your marriage covenant and the power of the priesthood.
ReplyDeleteYour strength in the face of incredible adversity is humbling and I marvel at your relationship with you Savior. I am reminded of the story of Lazarus - Jesus loved Lazarus, and his sisters, Mary and Martha, and when He heard Lazarus was sick, He made His way to their home; but He was too late, and Lazarus succumbed to his illness. When Jesus arrived in town, he encountered Martha in the street, prostrate and grief-stricken. I love the scriptures that follow:
John 11:33- "When Jesus therefore saw her weeping, and the Jews also weeping which came with her, he groaned in the spirit, and was
troubled..."
35 - "Jesus wept."
36 - "Then said the Jews, Behold how he loved him!"
I know that He loves you, He loves Darren, and oh! how He loves Brooke! Thank you for letting us love Brooke, and your family.
God Bless your sweet family, Sarah. In looking at photos and videos of Brooke I have marveled at her beauty and the wonder in which she explored the world. Was there ever a baby who lived as fully as she did? I hope you know that we will not forget your sweet daughter. I didn't meet her in this life - but please know that she has already blessed my life. Love and prayers to you and Darren.
ReplyDeleteWords cannot describe the admiration I have for you. Humbling and inspiring. Love you. -Niki (Willey) Bennett
ReplyDeleteSarah and Darren... We have been thinking about you and praying about you since we heard. There is nothing really I can say except that you are all so amazing and thank you for letting us be a part of your difficult journey. We will continue to pray for your peace and comfort. -Kelsey (Fox) Evans
ReplyDeleteSarah, I have always known you were an amazing person but this confirms it. You are such a great example to us all. My Heavenly Father and the Holy Ghost always be with you to comfort and protect you and your sweet husband for the rest of your lives. I love you so much and miss you in our ward.
ReplyDeleteHi there Sarah and Darren, keith and katie are our dear friends (the best), and we have been praying for you constantly with our little ones. We have seen them differently thanks to your little Brooke - we've tried to be a little more patient and have been reminded of the gift they are. I can't help but cry often for you but have been reassured and am so grateful that you have also been held in the Lords hands. What a beautiful thing to donate he organs. I know you will be together again and have the chance to live with your precious girl. We will keep you in our prayers for a long time. Thank you for your testimonies!
ReplyDeleteSarah, I don't know you but I knew Darren through his friend Brad Mickelson. My two sisters Misa and Hollie and I loved to hang out with Brad and Darren it was so fun. My heart breaks for you and your little family. You have an amazing spirit and an amazing amount of faith that most of us only wish we had. We are praying for you and the peoples lives that your precious little daughter has touched and will touch. God bless you.
ReplyDelete-Tamara Blau McKenney
Bless your heart, Sarah.
ReplyDeleteSarah, I am brenna's sister and have only met you once, briefly. Your faith during this time has been incredibly inspirational. You truly let God's light shine and you have left an impression on my heart. There are a small handful of people who have made impressions on my faith and brought me closer to Him. I can say that from just reading your Facebook and blog posts, you have been one of those few people. I wanted to let you know that you have touched me more deeply than I can express with words in a simple blog comment. I will be praying for continued peace and strength for the road ahead of you.
ReplyDeleteI am in awe of your strength and faith. What a blessing to have your mind shifted to be able to think of others during such a difficult situation. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. As are my tears. You are amazing.
ReplyDeleteI'm just a stranger, but I heard about your story almost as soon as you posted from my friend Terra Gerritsen. I just want you to know that I have been worrying and praying for you all weekend long. I'm so sorry that the miracle I hoped for didn't happen, but I hope you continue to find peace. Knowing that your sweet girl will be spared so much pain in this world, and that you are guaranteed to have her forever, is a beautiful silver lining to the dark cloud of loss. May your hope for the future be sustained as you feel the Savior's healing balm. I'm nobody, but I've added my tears to your today.
ReplyDeleteI was your VT freshman year of college. You blew me away then with your strength in spirit. And, wow, today I marvel even more at the strength of your spirit. Anders and I are heartbroken for your family and will continue to pray for you.
ReplyDelete-- Lauren Sjavik
Sarah and Daren,
ReplyDeleteYour witness to your faith and trust in God's will is very moving. You both remain in my prayers, along with your family and close friends. May they help you keep the beautiful child's memories alive.
Emily Janiszewski
Sarah, I feel like I am witnessing a miracle when I see your faith and strength and the peace that you have felt. Thank you for sharing this experience with us. You have touched the hearts of so many people.
ReplyDeleteRod and I are in your ward and have been praying for you. I am so grateful you have received such strength and peace through this difficult time. You have strengthened my testimony of how closely the Lord knows us and loves us. What a beautiful person you are to give such a miracle to another family through your sweet daughter. Your ward family loves you and is praying for you.
ReplyDeleteWith love - Shannon and Rod Sorensen
Thank you for sharing your beautiful testimony. You are a strength and example. Thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family as you continue through difficult times.
ReplyDeleteSarah and Darren, I have to confess: my heart is absolutely broken. I feel like I was with you on your long, hard road to fertility, and to me, the fact that Brooke was even born seems a miracle in and of itself. You two are the best parents, and Sarah, you're a way more patient mom than I could ever imagine to be! Even though we've lived in different cities for all of Brooke's sweet little life, I can see from afar how she has completed the two of you. So I'm completely heartbroken.
ReplyDeleteBless you for having the faith that you do. Bless you for being such stellar examples to me and to the world around you. Bless you for sharing your trials and blessings with us. Bless you for being so willing to accept God's will with a light and happy heart. Bless you for being such wonderful parents. Bless you for sharing your sweet baby, both figuratively and now, it would seem, literally. Bless you in your lonely days ahead. Bless you.
I love you, and you will continue to be in our prayers.
--Dyann
Sarah, you are indeed special. Thanks for sharing your wonderful testimony. It will help countless people and brings a lot of peace. We love you all. Tess Wardle
ReplyDeleteSarah, I want to first tell you what an amazing mother you are. Brooke is one lucky girl to be born into such an amazing family. I also want you to know that your strength and faith in our Father in Heaven amazes me. You have touched the heart of not only me and my family, but so many people around you. Know that I love you and I will continue to pray for you.
ReplyDeleteAmie Meadows
I'm so sorry for all you've been through the last little while. Thank you so much for sharing your story, you can't know what an impact it has on all of us who read it. Your experiences are moving and they've touched me. As a mother, I can't help but sit here in awe as I read your posts. They are inspiring, tear inducing, and heart wrenching. I've never met you, or Brooke, or your husband, and yet I have so much compassion, admiration, and love for all of you. I just wanted to say you will all be in the prayers of my family, including those whom you seek to help, from over here in Colorado. God be with you all. <3
ReplyDeleteI am weeping...love you so much. You will continue to be in my prayers. Your faith and trust in our merciful Savior is completely awe-inspiring.
ReplyDeleteAll my aloha,
Mele
I knew Darren in high school.
ReplyDeleteThere are no words to thank you for what you have done this week . . . your 2012 thanksgiving and that of so many others will be a miracle beyond all others.
Sarah you are amazing. I'm bawling just reading this. You have always had such a strong testimony and been such a great person. Brooke is amazingly lucky that you are her mother forever. I love you and miss you.
ReplyDeleteDarren & Sarah,
ReplyDeleteKent and I knew Darren when we were all in the singles branch here in Tri-Cities. We want you to know that you are in our prayers and have our love, even though it is far away. We know that God is watching over you and taking care of Brooke.
All our love,
Kent and Julie Zirker
Oh Sarah......I have no words! You are an amazing and inspiring woman! May The Lord continue to bless you and carry you through this trial. Lots of love! Amy Whitmore and family
DeleteYou know my husband Joseph G., and he shared this story with me. I am so sorrowful for your situation, and so humbled to realize you can think of others at such a hard time. We are thinking of you.
ReplyDeleteSarah and Darren,
ReplyDeleteOur hearts break for you and we love you both. Thanks for being such an inspiration to us all.
Don and Elaine Cox
I am so sorry Sarah and my heart ached reading this post. Someone earlier mentioned you being a forever mommy. It is so true. She will be waiting for you with open arms and a huge smile.
ReplyDeleteHi Sarah,
ReplyDeleteI was shocked to learn of the challenge you, your husband, your family are facing. I am so sorry, but it gives me hope to see the way your faith has guided you through. May your heart continue to be peaceful during this difficult time. I admire your strenght and courage, and I'm glad to know you. I will keep you in my prayers.
- Haley
Sarah,
ReplyDeleteMy heart is breaking thinking of what you and Darren have been going through and what lies ahead. Please know that our thoughts and prayers are with you in this healing process. Your faith and peace is incredibly inspiring to all.
Love,
Aubrey and Paul
I don't know if you remember me but I am part of the smith family in the Bellevue ward. I never had the chance to meet your darling baby but I did get to see you pregnant. When I found out you were pregnant someone in the relief- society told me. She said that Sarah was pregnant and what an amazing surprise. I did not know you at the time so I asked why it was such a surprise? She said the Jaggi's love children and for a long time have been trying to have one of their own. They have not been successful until now. What a miracle after all these years later they are blessed with a baby. I remember being so happy for someone I didn't really even know. A chance to be a mom Wow. What an amazing mom you turned out to be. To be this strong during an impossible time. To make such selfless decisions. You are truly an example. Thank you so much for sharing your story, Your life , Your family. We are all blessed to witness your miracle. I will continue to pray that your daughter, will have the chance to give another family a miracle, And for your peace and happiness. Love Nylah Smith
ReplyDeleteYour faith and loving kindness are an inspiration,Your clarity of Spirit is beautiful to behold.Bless your hearts and May you find comfort and Peace,Always.Love to you.
ReplyDeleteI don't know you; I'm a mom in the NH ward. Your grace & love through this astounds me! I'm heartbroken reading this, yet YOUR words comfort ME. Your sweet daughter is so beautiful. And you are wonderful parents. Thank your for sharing such a sacred part of this mortal journey with the rest of us.
ReplyDeleteSarah and Darren,
ReplyDeleteKatie is a dear friend of mine and since I consider her a sister I feel that by extension you are too. I have thought and prayed for your family constantly through the last few days. I know, as you do, that God has not forgotten you, though he's taken your sweet daughter home. I am amazed and grateful and in sincere admiration of you for your faith and the charity which must be in your hearts as you look outside yourselves to the suffering of others and give the saving gift of organ donation. I continue to pray for you and your names are in the temple here in Laie. We pray that you may continue to have the peace and feel the grace that can only come through God. Lots of love, Deb
Amazing Grace!May the Lord continue to bless you!
ReplyDeleteI heard of your family's situation yesterday through being fb friends with Lara, and so I've learned of your loss today. My heart breaks for you and your husband. But my spirit has been blessed with peace because of your strength and solace you've found through Heavenly Father and His Son Jesus Christ. I an amazed at the peace and comfort you have today. My hope for you today is that with everyone's praters you will continue to heal and move forward. May He continue to pour out his love and wrap you in His arms of comfort.
ReplyDeleteSarah,
ReplyDeleteThank you for opening your heart and sharing your deepest feelings through your story. My prayer for you and Darren was that you would not only receive comfort, but that you would be allowed to see a glimpse beyond the veil to help ease your pain in delivering Brooke back into the arms of God. You have received both, so I know my prayers have been answered. My son, Darren, waited for a long time to find an amazing wife and mother for his children -- and my grandchildren. My profound grief and sorrow has been eased as well by witnessing the power of prayer and tearful pleadings. They did not return Brooke to us, but provided the miracle you talked about. I would like all the readers of this blog to understand that every prayer and every tear has been used to help provide the power needed for Brooke’s parents and family to be buoyed up and blessed with peace. Not one prayer or one tear has been wasted. We are so grateful for all the concern and words of love and support. I am eternally grateful for the example of our Heavenly Father who gave his only begotten Son so that all of us will be able to live again -- and be returned to the arms of our loved ones.
Darren's Mother, Emma Anthony
Sarah
ReplyDeleteI am glad to have met you in the Fruitland ward and to have met your sweet baby girl. My heart breaks for your family. You amaze me with your strength and testimony... you have certainly strengthened mine. I will continue to pray for you and your family that you will have continued peace during this time.
all my love,
Lara Larsen
Sarah and Darren,
ReplyDeleteI grew up with Darren and had the opportunity to call him my best friend for a few years. We sang together in Junior High. It sounds like he's still the kind-hearted and faithful friend I knew so well and that he's found a kind-hearted and faithful companion. I've enjoyed so much seeing your posts on facebook and feeling like I hadn't completely lost touch. Brooke is so beautiful and is obviously a reflection of the joy that her parents brought to her life. I'm so appreciative of your testimony that you still have her. I mourn with you and pray for your comfort--that you'll continue to feel lifted up and strengthened. I could not agree more with your perspective and know that you'll still have the opportunity to raise Brooke. What a precious gift from God. Thank you for blessing our lives with your experiences and for blessing the lives of those precious, unknown children.
Justin Fawson
I heard your story through a FB friend and was filled with tears as I read. Your story of such hope and your ability to see His plan is a gift to all who shares in your journey. May you and your family continue to feel His love surround you. May you and your family be blessed to touch the lives of those also looking for miracles. I do not know you but feel that you have touched my life through your testimony of the Saviors eternal plan. You were blessed with a special daughter of our Heavenly Father and you too are truly a special daughter. Our prayers are with you at this time.
ReplyDeleteLove the Proffitt Family Temecula CA
Dear Sarah, I am a friend of Darren's. My husband and I lost a set of twins 11 years ago. We frankly did not handle it as well as the both of you have. Your experience has brought me to tears. I am so sincerely sorry for this sweet loss of yours. However I am so impressed with how well you are handling it. This is hard for me to mourn for your loss as it brings many tears to my eyes, I am not a fan of crying. We too prayed for a miracle for the two of you. I will continue to pray for the peace that you two so desire at this time. I love you both so much, and deeply regret her life was so short. Thanks for being such an awesome example to me. I am so glad that you had 18 months of memories with her. Sincerely, Trisha Christensen
ReplyDeleteSarah, I know and love you and Brooke. I am hear for you. we love you
ReplyDeletekim Ellis
Sarah,
ReplyDeleteI am Monica's friend from the NH ward. I know how sacred an experience donating an organ can be & am so grateful to you for your unselfish determination to do whatever our Heavenly Father would have you do. I have loved getting to know you & Brooke at play group. You are an inspiring mom!
With love,
Chrysteil
Dear Sarah and Darren,
ReplyDeleteThank you for letting us be a part of this journey. I know you have felt the countless prayers that have been offered for you and all of your loved ones. You are indeed, true believers of Jesus Christ. Thank you for your examples. By your willingness to share your tender thoughts and experiences, you've allowed so many of us the blessing of, in our own way, walking with you as your brothers and sisters in Christ. You are so loved.
Rosalind
Thank you for sharing your love for your daughter and for showing your faith. What a wonderful reminder you have given us all of the meaning of life, the goodness of God's plan and the power of prayer and faith. May God continue to bless you and your husband with peace.
ReplyDeleteI work with Brad Mickelson in Montana. I read your first blog from Melissa's FB page over the weekend and have said many prayers for you all. As I read the post above, I'm in awe of your strength to continue sharing with others, not just your faith and your pain, but physically in donating her organs. My best wishes to you all in the most difficult time before you. Many blessings,
ReplyDeleteTanja Fransen
You do not know me either, but I read the posts of your beautiful daughter and the journey you and your husband have been on. I am so terribly sorry for your loss and my heart breaks for your family. But I am also so inspired by your strength and passion to help others. My prayers are with you, your husband, and your family. May you find peace knowing that your daughter is in heaven.
ReplyDeleteLaura GC
I moved from Redmond first in early September, though I do remember you. My heart sank when I heard what happened. I pray for heaven's love to comfort you. The only thing on this earth that helps in times of grief is that.
ReplyDeleteSarah, I'm so heartbroken to hear about Brooke. I know the pain of losing a baby grandaughter, and I know it has to hurt your heart so much more. I know that feeling of your heart hurting beyond what you think you can bear. I loved the times you brought Brooke to visit me - first in Physical Therapy Rehab, and then to my home a couple of weeks later. She just brightened my day, and I fell in love with her immediately. What a darling, precious baby! Tammy Lively told me when she was pronounced brain dead, and we both cried. I am so grateful for this message and testimony from you, and I'm amazed. I'm also very grateful that the Lord has comforted you and Darren. There is no question but that He held her in His arms. I pray that you will continue to feel at peace.
ReplyDelete